Thursday, October 13, 2011

Mixing Editions within a single Instance

The other day I inherited a SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Server. I was tasked with adding the Enterprise version of SQL Server Analysis Services. To be honest, I was not sure if you could mix editions of SQL Server within the same instance. It's important to note that when I refer to edition, I'm not referring to version (2005, 2008, R2), I'm referring to Developer, Standard or Enterprise.

I initiated the installation process and soon found the answer to my question. If you look at the screen shot below, you will notice the installation wizard warns you about mixing editions within the same instance.



It's also important to note that features are different than shared services. Shared services are applications like SQL Server Management Studio and Integration Services. Features are the Database Engine, Report Services and Analysis Services.


I hope you enjoyed this post, happy installing.

No comments:

Post a Comment